Guyanese Cookup with Fried Chicken
This is another Guyanese classic, Cookup Rice!
Here is how you can make your own…
1/2 can of black eyed peas (about 1 cup of cooked peas)
1/2 can of chick peas (about 1 cup of cooked peas)
1/2 can of kidney beans (about 1 cup of cooked peas)
2 cups long grain parboiled rice
1 can coconut milk, diluted with 4 cups water
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 can of petite diced tomatoes (or 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped)
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon dried thyme (Guyanese thyme preferably)
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon casareep (the Rupununi casareep is the best)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
2 tablespoon oil
- Warm oil in a large (heavy bottom) stock pot, on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are soft and slightly brown.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, basil and 1/2 the granulated garlic and cook down until all the water from the tomatoes has evaporated.
- Add the black eyed peas, kidney beans and chick peas.
- Add the remaining granulated garlic, sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Add rice and mix together.
- Add the coconut milk and water mixture, then add the casareeep.
- Mix together.
- Increase the heat to high and bring up to a roaring boil.
- Let boil covered for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer until the rice is fully cooked.
- This should take 30 to 40 minutes. When rice is cooked and all the liquids have evaporated, serve and enjoy!
We will cover fried chicken (Guyanese Style) in another piece.
Recipe and directions from: metemgee.com